From December 1 to 3 will be taking place in Valencia the sixth edition of the gvSIG Conference. This event is the best of continuous strategies that the Organization has pushed for the sustainability of software that continues amazing by its potential in the global market penetration.
Little by little, free software has been taking valuable spaces in a niche where proprietary software has much to offer. In gvSIG’s case it is individualized being a Hispanic initiative with interesting comprehensive vision and a hard effort to systematize both processes and experiences of your application.
The free geospatial initiatives jungle is wide; you just have to see a summary of presentations that I showed of what it was the FOSS4G 2010. We are aware that many of these initiatives will not have a sustainable eco unless they unify efforts for the self-sustaining community-based. Here, we all hope that in a few years it will be recognized gvSIG initiative as one of the models born from satisfaction in use, rather than in altruism for free fashion; as Álvaro Angiux says:
The community found in gvSIG a project where collaboration and shared knowledge formed part of its genetic code, found itself with a project where the technical aspects were important; it could not be otherwise, but weren’t the only ones.
The thematic areas to be discussed in these meetings shall be , among others:
- Geodesy and Navigation
- Photogrammetric and Remote Sensing
- Cartography and GIS
- High-resolution sensors and their applications.
All papers are Spanish-English translation and vice versa when the exposure is in English. Before one month of starting, has released a preliminary agenda, although it must be pending at the final program because in parallel there exists workshops of SEXTANTE, NavTable, IDE, GRASS, gvSIG gvSIG 2.0 Mini and Development, also in the days leading up to the conference will be held the international Eclipse-MosKittDay and CodeSprint.
What we will have in the day: here’s a quick list of 36 items:
- -Multimodal trip planner for interurban buses
- – gvSIG Fonsagua: Information system for the management of water and sanitation programs
- – Legal framework of free software in government
- – Opportunities offered by the Infrastructure’s law and Geographic Information Services in Spain (LISIGE) to gvSIG users
- – Migração para gvSIG do SIG-RB – SIG da Bacia do Ribeira de Iguape e Litoral Sul, SP – Brazil
- – gvSIG Desktop as a tool for monitoring experimental plantations of Araucarias’ forest in Brazil
- -System for management of forests legacy in Cuba on gvSIG 1.9
- – Winemaking heritage and landscape of vineyards in geotourism implemented in gvSIG
- – GvSIG Mobile 1.0 New Features
– gvSIG Mobile Sensor, extension for measurements collection and sensor observations in field
- – gvSIG Mini, a free mobile map viewer
- – Tool design of urban planning and territorial from Extremadura
- – Presentation of the pedagogical approach about GIS learning based on gvSIG at the University of Rennes 2 (Britain-France) for a master’s degree in geography
- – Synergies between gvSIG and the UNIGIS Professional Master in GIS Management
- – gvSIG EIEL: an application to manage the municipal information
- – gvSIG data management in local government
- – gisEIEL 3.0: Design and construction of extensions in gvSIG 2.0
- – geneSIG – A customized gvSIG client for the newGIS infrastructure
- – WG-Edit: a new gvSIG extension for the street cadastre management
- – Evaluation of gvSIG and Sextante Tools for Hydrological Analysis
- – Spatial Data Infrastructure from Fuenlabrada
- – GIS and free data on sectorial applications: emergency management
- – Implementation on gvSIG for checking the documentation produced in the Project PNOA-POEX environment
- – GearScape Integration in gvSIG
- – Display Module of multiparameter data for gvSIG
- – Access to raster images from gvSIG using WKTRaster
- – Mining paths: Proposing a conceptual model
- – Generating resource descriptions to gvSIG from GeoCrawler
- – Spatial Data Infrastructure on 3D of the City of Torrent based on free software
- – OSGeo, the foundation for free open source geospatial software and its Spanish-speaking chapter
- – Use of gvSIG, DielmoOpenLiDAR and SEXTANTE to produce large volumes of LiDAR data
- – Evaluation of the controlled architecture surrounding buildings from the UNESCO polygonal. Santa Ana de Coro
- – OCEANTIC. Software for transferring, viewing and management of digital information on the high seas
- – Geographical techniques applied to the study of archaeological sites in the northwestern province of Buenos Aires
- – Developments in gvSIG for the data management and exploitation of archaeological deposits
- – GeoWeb Mobile – Application for mobile devices to perform approximate budgets for geotechnical studies.
- – How to make a Geoportal from gvSIG in 15 minutes
Here you can see more of the workshop and a review of the previous.