In our Western context SuperGIS has not reached a significant position, however in the East, speaking of countries like India, China, Taiwan, Singapore -to name a few- SuperGIS has interesting positioning. I have planned to test these tools during 2013 as I have done with Manifold GIS and gvSIG, comparing its functionality; but for now I will just give a glance to the ecosystem in general.
The scalability model denote this system root, which was basically born with SuperGEO, a company that, pretending to distribute ESRI products in Taiwan, realized it was easier to manufacture a product that sell one alien. It is now on all continents, with an internationalization strategy said in its mission: get to be among the Top 3 brands with global presence and leadership in technological innovation in the geospatial context.
From there, it seems to be a clone of the ESRI most used applications, such that even the names are almost exactly alike with own adaptations that have come to give added value and of course with very interesting economic prices.
The main lines now, they are about to launch the 3.1a version, are as follows:
Here the main product is SuperGIS Desktop, which contains the basic routines of a generic GIS tool in aspects like capture, construction, data analysis and maps generation for printing. There are some add-ons that are free for this version, mostly to make the desktop version acts as a client on data served from other extensions. These add-ons include:
- OGC client to stick to standards like WMS, WFS, WCS, etc.
- GPS to connect a receiver and handle the data it receives.
- The client to Geodatabase which supports download layers from Access MDB, Oracle Spatial, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.
- Map Tile Tool, with which you can create data that can be read with online applications SuperGIS mobile and Super Web GIS.
- Server Client to connect to data served via SuperGIS Server and loads them as layers to the desktop version with the possibility of discussing about these as if it were a local layer.
- Image Server Desktop Client, like the previous ones, to interact by overlapping, filtering and analyzing data served from the service images extension.
In addition, excels the following extensions:
- Spatial Analyst
- Spatial Statistical Analyist
- 3D Analyst
- Biodiversity Analyst. This is striking because it has more than 100 assessment indexes for the animals’ spatial distribution in natural settings.
- Network Analyst
- Topology Analyst
- And with application only in Taiwan there are CTS and CCTS, with which you can make changes to the projections used in this country (TWD67, TWD97) and connect to historical databases of spatial data from Taiwan and China.
These are tools for publishing maps and data management in shared contexts. It also allows the desktop version support mobile customer services designed for web versions since SuperGIS Desktop, SuperPad, WMS, WFS, WCS and KML standards.
To publish data you have the following applications:
- SuperWeb GIS, here are interesting the wizards to create web services with predefined templates based on Adobe Flex and Microsoft Silverlight.
- SuperGIS Server
- SuperGIS Image Server
- SuperGIS Network Server
- SuperGIS Globe
This is a library of components for application development using standard SFO OpenGIS with Visual Basic, Visual Studio .NET, Visual C++ and Delphi.
In addition to the generic version called SuperGIS Engine are the extensions that similar to server versions are parallel to desktop extensions:
- Network Objects
- Spatial Objects
- Spatial Statistical Objects
- Biodiversity Objects
- 3D Objects
- SuperNet Objects
In applications for mobile there are some with classic features, others with particularized for end user version:
- SuperGIS Mobile Engine for developing applications for mobile devices.
- SuperPad for conventional GIS management
- SuperField and SuperSurv with capacities for application in the topography area
- SuperGIS Mobile Tour very practical to create workflow oriented for tourist destinations including embedded multimedia material.
- Mobile Cadastral GIS, this is a specialized application for cadastral managing although is only available for Taiwan
- SuperGIS Online
- Data Services
- Function Services
In conclusion, an interesting line of products that although do not fill the endless range of ESRI, represent an economic alternative for the user with more than 25 tools. Now joins the software list we have reviewed.